Christ and the 2nd Commandment
Exod 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: 5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; 6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments. (KJV)
Today we want to think about the 2nd Commandment and its relationship to Jesus of Nazareth. The Bible teaches that Christ is the virgin born eternal Son of God. He is the literal author of the Law of God being God Himself and therefore He could not possibly break ANY of His Law. Let us consider in particular the 2nd Commandment and think about three things.
I. CHRIST DEMANDS OBEDIENCE TO IT.
1. Rev.2:14, 20, 9:20.
2. The N.T. teaches as strongly against idolatry as does the O.T. Matt. 4:8-10.
Acts 15:19-29, 1Cor.10:19-20, 12:2, 2Cor.6:14-18, 1Thess.1:9-10, 1Jn.5:20-21.
3. Christ was NEVER guilty of idolatry. Heb.4:14-16.
4. Your idol can be a religious icon or it can be anything else that comes between you and the only true and living God. It can be your job, your plans for the future, your finances, your spouse, children, friends or something else. It can be a house, a boat, a car, or any other manner of material possessions. Matt.6:19-21.
II. CHRIST DECLARES CONDEMNATION FOR TRANSGRESSING IT.
1. Jn.3:16-21, Matt.10:32-39, Rev. 14:6-11.
2. We are easily deceived about worship. Jn.4:20-24, Acts 7:37-43, 51, 17:22-23,
Acts 24:14-16, Col.2:20-23, Rev.3:8-11, 13:4-9, 22:8-10.
3. Christ is the ONLY remedy for this problem. 1Tim.4:1-6, Jn.8:30-32, 14:6.
4. All men need this remedy. Jn.1:6-17, 3:26-36, 12:27-32, Acts 17:29-30.
III. CHRIST DELIVERED HIS PEOPLE FROM ITS CONDEMNATION.
2. God saves His people in spite of themselves. Ps.110:3, 2Thess.3:1-5,
2Tim.2:24-26, Jn.10:9-11, Rom.9:27-29.
3. Christ’s salvation brings a new life of holiness. 1Pet.1:13-16. 2Cor.5:12.
4. It is all of grace. Eph.2:8-10, Rom.3:24-26, 4:3-7, 5:14-15, 20-21, 11:5-7.
CONCLUSION: The inspired word of God is clear and undeniable. All men everywhere are condemned because of their transgression of the law of God. We not only refuse to worship the one and only true and living God but we actually worship that which is not God and make the things of creation “gods”. Jesus was never guilty of this and preached the truth in holiness. It is the duty of every one of us to repent of our sins and trust the Lord Jesus Christ as our personal Saviour. This is the ONLY way to be saved. AMEN.