Christ and the 1st Commandment
Exod 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me. (KJV)
Let us think for a moment about the 1st Commandment and its relationship to Jesus of Nazareth. We believe that Jesus is the Eternal Son of God and that He is the ultimate fulfillment of the Law of God. Certainly He would not be guilty of transgressing the 1st of the 10 Commandments nor any of the other ones for that matter. He came as the virgin born Saviour to redeem His people from the curse of the law. He is actually the author of the Law of God, being God Himself. Consider three things about Christ and the 1st Commandment.
I. CHRIST DEMANDED OBEDIENCE TO IT.
1. Mark 12:28-30.
2. Nothing should be more important to a person than putting God 1st . Matt. 6:33.
3. Jesus NEVER let anything come between Him and the Father.
Lk. 2:41-49. Jn. 2:13-16. Jn. 6:37-40. Jn. 14:23-24. Jn. 15:8-10.
4. We must strive to put away idolatry. An idol is anything that comes between us and the only true God (whether it is an object, person or personal preference). 1Jn. 5:18-21.
II. CHRIST DECLARED CONDEMNATION FOR TRANSGESSING IT.
1. Rev. 2:18-23.
2. There are times when the error of false religions creep into the Lord’s true churches.
3. The meek and lowly Jesus is also the Mighty Son that Judges all transgression.
Matt. 7:2-5. 11:18-26. 12:36-37. Jn. 5:22-23. Rom.2:1-6, 14:10-12. 2Cor.5:10.
4. We are all guilty. 1Tim.5:24. Heb. 9:27. James 2:12-13. 1Pet.4:17-18. 2Pet.2:4-9.
III. CHRIST DELIVERED HIS PEOPLE FROM ITS CONDEMNATION.
1. Matt. 1:21. Gal.1:1-5. 2Cor.1:9-10. Jn.5:24. Rom.8:1.
2. Christ is the ONLY remedy for our sin problem. Acts 4:12.
3. Redemption comes according to the eternal purpose of God’s grace. Lk.24:13-27.
1Pet.1:18-20. Rev.5:6-10. Eph.1:4-7. Col.1:12-14. Heb. 9:11-12.
4. Christ’s redemption is apprehended by grace through repentance and faith.
Matt.3:1-2, 4:17, Lk.13:2-3, Acts 3:19, Matt.21:32, Lk.8:12, Jn.1:12, 3:16.
There is only one true and living God and He is the one and only God to be worshiped. He has spoken to us in His inspired word, the 66 books of the Bible. God tells us of our condemnation because of the transgression of the law but He also shows us how to be saved from our sins by His grace through Faith in Christ and His finished work in the gospel. Rom.1:16.
Hear the gospel of grace today and believe on Christ. He is the all sufficient Saviour. AMEN.