Christ and the 3rd Commandment
Exod 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain. (KJV)
Cussing and swearing is common place in our day and time. Most of the language out on the street of everyday life seems to waft up from the gutter. The way the unsaved world uses holy things and the name of God is a shame and a disgrace. Most modern day conversations on the street are an abomination to God. Jesus would have NEVER been guilty of talking like folks talk today. Think for a few moments today about the 3rd Commandment and its relationship to Christ. We will consider three things.
I. CHIRST DEMANDED OBEDIENCE TO IT.
1. Matt. 6:9. We are instructed to use the name of God reverently especially in prayer.
2. Matt. 21:9. Hosanna is an exclamation of adoration that literally means “Oh Save!” The name of the Lord is synonymous with the authority of God. Folks in the New Testament recognized Christ as the Messiah by saying that He came in the NAME of the Lord. Matt. 23:37-39. Christ Himself recognized the NAME of the Lord is a Holy thing and that it is connected to the Authority of God and His second coming. He only used the Name of the Lord with due reverence and respect. Jn. 12:27-33. The Bible teaches a Holy reverence for the NAME of God. We even need to be careful about how we use slang words for the Holy NAME of God.
3. Jesus did His mighty works in the NAME of the Father. Jn. 5:43, 10:24-28.
4. Let us renew our attitudes about the use of the NAME of God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Remember, the use of His NAME is a reference many times to His authority and at times it may simply refer to doing something for the sake of Christ and His glory. Mark 9:36-41. Any believer may do service for the sake of Christ but it was His New Testament Church that was authorized to do the church work of the great commission in His NAME. Matt. 28:18-20.
II. CHRIST DECLARED CONDEMNATION FOR TRANSGRESSING IT.
1. Misuse and abuse of the NAME of God is an identifying mark of the end times. Matt. 24:3-5. False cults, churches and religions usurp the authority of God by the misuse of His NAME. It is sad that not only do the unsaved nonreligious folks blaspheme the NAME of God but even those outwardly religious folks do the same.
2. Unsaved religionists will perish using the name of God in vain. Matt. 7:19-23.
3. Unbelievers are blatant blasphemers. Rom. 2:24-25. Rev.16:9-11.
4. The only unforgivable sin has to do with blasphemy. Matt.12:31-37.
5. The tongue is a thing that must be controlled. James 1:26, 3:5-8, 1Pet.3:10.
6. It is not with the tongue only that sinners blaspheme the name of God. 1Tim.6:1, Eph. 5:20-22, 25, 6:1, 4-5, 9.
III. CHRIST DELIVERED HIS PEOPLE FROM ITS CONDEMNATION.
1. 1Pet.1:18-2:2. True salvation gives us a new heart, a new mind, a new conversation and way of life. Gal.3:13-16, Rev.5:9-10.
CONCLUSION: Rom.6:23. All have sinned but God gave His Son to redeem us from our sins. Repent and believe the gospel now. Trust Christ and come for scriptural baptism now and serve Him in His local New Testament church.