Christ and the 7th Commandment
Exod 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Man is a moral creature and is bound by nature to give answer for his words, actions and the thoughts of his heart. We have an aspect of our being that both the wild and the domestic animals do not have. It is true that all animal life has a basic instinct that is inbred regarding certain things like survival but man has something more than that. Man has a God Consciousness whereby we know, whether we want to admit it or not, that God is real and we must answer to His moral standards. The moral standards of God are categorically listed for us in the Decalogue known as the Ten Commandments. The only man that has ever kept the Ten Commandments in absolute completeness is the Eternal, Incarnate Son of God, Jesus of Nazareth. We’ve been studying Christ and the Ten Commandments and have come now to the seventh commandment. Again, we will consider three familiar points.
I. CHRIST DEMANDED OBEDIENCE TO IT.
1. Jesus preached against adultery on more than one occasion.
2. Matt. 5:27-32, similar passages in Mk. 10:11-12 & Lk. 16:18.
3. Matt. 19:9, 18, similar verses in Mk. 10:19 and Lk. 18:20.
4. Fornication is a general term for any and all inappropriate sexual activity.
5. Adultery is specifically unfaithfulness to your spouse.
6. Other N.T. verses against adultery. Rom.2:22, 13:9, Gal.5:19, Jas.2:11, 2Pet.2:14.
II. CHRIST DECLARED CONDEMNATION FOR BREAKING IT.
1. Christ always stressed the heart of the problem over the outward sin. Matt.5:28-29.
2. Frivolous divorce and remarriage is sin. Matt.5:32, 19:9, 18.
3. Premarital sex, extramarital sex, soft porn, hardcore, lustful thoughts, and all.
4. None of us can escape the fact that we have sinned against God. Rom,3:23.
III. CHRIST DELIVERED HIS PEOPLE FROM ITS CONDEMNATION.
1. He is the only remedy for our sin. Jn.3:18, Rom.8:3-4, 11:2-5, 1Pet.3:18-22.
2. The story of the adulteress. Jn.8:1-11.
3. Believers are justified Rom.5:9, also redeemed and forgiven Eph.1:7, 2:13, Col.1:14, 20, Heb.9:11-14, 19-28, 10:19-22, 12:24, 13:11-12, 20-21, 1Pet.1:2, 18-19, Rev.1:5.
4. Yes indeed. The sprinkling of the incorruptible blood of Christ forever speaks from the heavenly mercy seat and it is all because He died on the cross of Calvary for His people. When the blood and water came from His lanced dead body that day according to Jn. 19:34, it gave medical evidence that He had died of a broken heart.
Let God be true and every man a liar. Salvation by the sovereign grace of God is freely given to hell deserving sinners like you and me all because Christ the eternal Son of God died for us on the bloody cross of Calvary. We have all broken every single element of the moral law of God but He, in mercy and grace, has given us the Lamb of God as our blood sacrifice for sin. The Bible says, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.” AMEN.