Christ and the 6th Commandment
Exod 20:13 Thou shalt not kill. (KJV)
God’s moral standard of right and wrong for mankind is summed up in the Ten Commandments. Jesus Christ is the only man that ever lived who kept the moral standard of God perfectly all His life. All the rest of us have failed miserably in every aspect of the moral law of God. The first 4 commandments have to do with our relationship with God and the last 6 commandments have to do with our relationship with our fellow man. We can see how Jesus not only kept the whole package of the law without exception and each individual commandment in particular whereas we on the other hand fall short in part and parcel, for when we fail in one part we become guilty of the whole sum of the matter. James 2:10. For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. Today we will consider Christ and the 6th Commandment and again we will think about three points in the message.
I. CHRIST DEMANDED OBEDIENCE TO IT.
1. Some say that Jesus did not preach the LAW but that is not so.
2. Matt. 7:12, Matt. 19:18, Jn. 7:16-19.
3. Christ took the law beyond the physical to the heart of the matter.
4. Matt. 5:20-22. Matt. 22:35-40.
II. CHRIST DECLARED CONDEMNATION FOR BREAKING IT.
1. We have all had hate in our heart at one time or another and that is the same as murder in the eyes of God.
We are condemned because all sin originates in our depraved heart.
2. John 3:19-21, Rom. 8:3-9.
3. Capital Punishment and self defense is not murder. Gen. 9:6.
4. Abortion is murder and God hates the shedding of innocent blood. Ps. 106:36-38. Prov. 6:16-19, Isa. 59:1-11.
III. CHRIST DELIVERED HIS PEOPLE FROM ITS CONDEMNATION.
1. Even the father of John the Baptist new this. Lk. 1:67-77.
2. By Faith we are redeemed from the curse of the law. Gal. 3:9-14.
3. It is the Blood of Christ that saves from sin. 1Pet.1:18-25, Rev. 5:9.
God is real and God has spoken. He is the only true and living God and He is the only one that we are to worship. The construction of graven images or idols of any kind is a direct assault against the omnipotent king of the universe. His name is holy and we at our best are guilty of filthiness and blasphemy. We are to keep His day and worship Him in Spirit and in Truth. It is our duty to honor our heavenly Father and our earthly parents. Christ did all of this perfectly and without fail. He never had murder in His heart and neither should we. Our only hope is that He would be our Saviour and His righteousness might be given to us by the grace of God. This is what the Gospel is all about. Mk. 1:1-9, 14-15. Rom. 1:16. 1Cor.15:1-4. 2Thess.2:13-14. 2Tim.1:8-10. AMEN.