Christ and the 9th Commandment
Exod 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour. (KJV)
The Bible says that all liars shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone. Rev.21:8. Why do you think it says that? It says that because there are some absolutes and God absolutely loves the truth and therefore He also hates falsehood. There are many different ways to lie and we have figured out ways to be very crafty with our lies but call it what you may, no matter how you slice it, if you have not told the whole truth on a matter, you are a liar and that has sad, sad consequences in the end. Jesus Christ is the only man that ever lived who never lied. He is in fact TRUTH personified. Let us consider for a few moments today Christ and the 9th Commandment. We have three points.
I. CHRIST DEMANDED OBEDIENCE TO THIS COMMANDMENT.
1. Jesus clearly preached this commandment in the New Testament. Matt.15:19. 19:18-19. Mk. 10:19. Lk.18:20. Lk.19:8-10.
2. Other N.T. verses also concur. Rom.13:8-10. 1Jn.2:4. 2:21-22. 4:20.
II. CHRIST DECLARED CONDEMNATION FOR BREAKING THIS LAW.
1. False prophets are liars. Matt.7:15-19. 24:11-18. 2Cor.11:13-15.
2. There are many ways to lie but the end result is always the same. Ps.62:9-12. Prov.11:1-4. 20:23. Mal.2:9-10.
Jer.27:10, 14-15. James 5:12. Jude 1:4.
III. CHRIST DELIVERED HIS PEOPLE FROM ITS CONDEMNATION.
1. There is no condemnation to them that are in Christ. Rom.8:1-3. Jn.5:24. Jn.3:18.
2. Christ frees us from the condemnation of the Law. Jn.8:32. Gal.5:1. 1Pet.2:15-16.
God is real and He has a moral standard that is just like Him. The Law of God can never change. What is right is right and what is wrong is wrong. According to the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ, we must be careful about taking the letter of Gods law and making it say something that God never intended for it to say. Man is very good about – or maybe I should say bad about – making religious rules and regulations that either add to or take away from what God has said. Jesus taught that it is heart of the matter that is the important thing. If you can get that part right the letter of the law will take care of itself. The fact is, again, that none of us have kept the law of God except for Jesus. That is why it is so important for you to confess your sins and by faith receive the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour. Look to Him now and be ye saved. AMEN.