John 4:23-24 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. (KJV)
Most of what goes on in the religious world is not worship at all. In the first place, if one is not bowing down to adore the one true God of the Bible, nothing they do may rightfully be considered worship. True worship is that which is given to the one true God. If the object of so-called worship is not God, then no matter what is done and how faithfully and fervently it is done, it is not true worship. The majority of religious activity is nothing more that raw paganism and idolatry. Sadly, this fact is also true for many who call themselves Christian. I want you to ponder for a few moments today about what true worship is and how to worship God. The Bible says that our Father in heaven is continually looking for true worshipers to worship Him and when He finds them, there are two things in particular that mark their worship. Let us consider these two things as we think on three points about how to worship the one and only true and living God.
I. YOU MUST BE READY IN WORSHIP.
1. Ready in Spirit. None can truly worship God unless they are regenerated.
A. Titus 3:5, Eph. 2:1-5, Jn. 6:63, Jn. 3:3-8.
2. Ready in Truth. It takes the Spirit AND the Truth to bring the New Birth.
A. 1Pet.1:22-23, Ps. 119:50, 93, Col. 2:13.
II. YOU MUST BE REVERENT IN WORSHIP.
1. Reverent in Spirit. The Spirit of God leads true worshipers in an atmosphere of humility and holiness to be self abased and pure when we approach the throne of God. The casual Rock Concert mindset that we see in most so-called praise and worship sessions today is a mockery of God. It is a fleshly exercise in carnality. The Regeneration by the Spirit brings drastic changes in the way we do things.
A. Rom. 6:18-23, 2Cor. 7:1, Eph. 4:17-24.
2. Reverent in Truth. Spirit led worship is not a thing that goes contrary to the inspired word of God. True reverent worship is that which is in compliance with the scriptures. People say and people do a lot of things in religion but if it is not backed up by the Bible it is not true worship.
A. Ps. 29:1-11, Ps. 93:1-5, 1Thess. 4:1-7.
III. YOU MUST BE RESPONSIVE IN WORSHIP.
1. Responsive in Spirit. When God draws you to Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit, you cannot help but want to do the right thing. The Father’s eternal purpose shall not fail. The redemption paid by Christ on Calvary shall not fail. The effectual power of the Holy Spirit in regeneration shall not fail. If you fail to be saved, it is not God’s fault. If you fail to be saved, it is because YOU did not respond in repentance and faith to the gospel. That is YOUR problem not God’s. We beseech you today, come to Christ.
A. Jn. 6:35-40, 1Thess. 2:13-14, Eph. 3:7.
2. Responsive in Truth. Once again we are reminded that the Holy Spirit never leads us to do that which is contrary to the word of God and always leads us to do that which is according to the eternal purpose and plan of God.
A. Eph. 1:3-13, Acts 5:32, 2Thess.1:7-9, 1Pet. 4:17.
CONCLUSION: True worshipers worship the Father in Spirit and in Truth. He “seeketh” this kind of worshipers. Shall He find any here today? I hope and I pray that it is so. Will you respond to Him today? God so loved that He gave His only begotten Son to be the all sufficient Saviour. Christ died, was buried and rose again the third day that we might be saved. The Holy Spirit of God uses this beautiful gospel story in bringing His people to Him. How is it with you? Are you ready to worship Him in Spirit and in Truth? Have you trusted Christ as your personal Saviour? Would you reverently come and worship Him with us in the beauty of holiness? We beseech you. Be reconciled to God. AMEN. 4/10.