The Law of God Repeated
The Book of Deuteronomy is the second law. It is the presentation of the Law of God the second time around. The Ten Commandments were given first in Exodus 20:1-21. This second presentation of the Law of God means that it is important. It was important in the days of Moses and it is important today. Remember when your parents would tell you something and then they would stop you and say the exact same thing all over again to you? When that happened, you knew that they were serious and you had better do what they said. Well, the same principle applies here. Let’s see if we can get this with six points in this message.
1. THE LAW IN A NUTSHELL.
2. THE LAW IS TO BE TAUGHT TO OUR CHILDREN.
3. THE LAW IS NOT TO BE FORGOTTEN.
4. THE LAW SEPARATES GOD’S PEOPLE FROM THE WORLD.
- V1-2. It is NOT wrong to fight against the enemies of God.
- V3-4. It IS wrong to yoke up with them in anyway.
- V5-6. It is our duty to do away with the alters of false worship.
- V7-11. It is the elective grace of God that is the how & why on the matter.
5. THE LAW BRINGS VICTORY WHEN OBEYED.
6. THE LAW BRINGS CHASTISEMENT WHEN DISOBEYED.
CONCLUSION: When it comes to the Law of God, Jesus did not come to do away with or destroy the law. Matt.5:17. The Law was a schoolmaster Gal.3:24. The new birth allows us to obey the Law of God from our heart. Ez.11:19-21, 36:26-27, James 2:10. When we gaze on our effort to keep the Law of God, it might be like a mosaic picture and even if some of the tiles look good, we cannot help but know that we in our sinful humanity do not have every single tile in place properly and therefore we fall short. However, when we have Christ as our Savior, HE is the absolute picture of divine perfection and by the grace of God, we have HIS perfection accredited to us by faith. Oh, Hallelujah! What a Savior. Is He yours? Would you trust Him now? AMEN.
81, 12-85, 4-13.