28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
and obtain the liberty decreed by God in advance 29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. 31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? 32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? 33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God’s elect? It is God that justifieth. 34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. 37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. 38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:28 is one of those verses we love to quote to other people when they are having problems. But what a shallow understanding we have of this wonderful passage. It is true that there are things about the mind of God that we can never understand in this life but there ARE some things about His Eternal Purpose that He has seen fit to reveal to us. Christ is the central theme of the Bible. He is the answer to the real important questions. When we think about the Eternal Purpose of God, we must go to Christ and learn of Him and all His Deity and the Mystery of Godliness, and the Divine Incarnation of Immanuel. Christ is the fullness of the Godhead bodily and He is the one in whom the Eternal Purpose of God is all contained. Let us consider three things in our text today about God’s Eternal Purpose and Our Circumstances, Our Standing and Our Salvation.
- OUR CIRCUMSTANCES ARE WORKING OUT FOR GOOD IN THE END.
- Blessings come to us because God called us in Christ. Not because we love Him or do anything for Him. Our love for Him is only the result of His love. 1Jn. 4:9-10.
- Even sorrow and hardship are for our good though we cannot see how but we CAN know why. It is to conform us to the image of Christ. Rom. 8:29.
- All creation is suffering with us, and it all works patience and endurance in us. V.18-23.
- Sin and its consequences magnify the redemption of God’s elect in Christ for we are so unworthy of His Mercy and Grace. V.28, 9:20-24.
- When we see the results of sin on the unsaved, we should say, “There but for the grace of God go I.” Whether we deserve it or not has nothing to do with grace. None of us deserve it. That is why when we experience it we see it as it is, grace, grace wonderful grace in Christ Jesus. Rom. 9:11 and 13.
- OUR STANDING IS NOT OF US BUT OF GOD.
- Our relation with God in Christ began in sovereign election and foreknowledge. This is more than mere pre-cognition of what we would do. It has to do with WHOM not what. Rom. 8:29.
- In regard to cognition, God had pre-science of all men. He is omniscient and omnipresent. Regarding purpose unto salvation, God only “knew” His elect in Christ. This had to do with an eternal intimate love flowing from the divine heart of free and sovereign grace. V. 29. He never “knew” those that finally perish in their sin. Matt. 7:23.
- God predestinated us to salvation and set in motion all that we need to bring us to justification, sanctification and glorification. Rom.8:29-30. God’s elective grace in Christ does not exclude; it only includes. Understand this. Election is NOT a putting out. It is a putting in. Jn.3:17-18.
- OUR SALVATION CAN BOAST OF GOD’S SOVEREIGN ETERNAL GRACE.
- God cannot let His chosen ones in Christ be lost. Rom.8:32. Not even the most evil being of all can thwart God’s purpose in our salvation. Isa. 53:11.
- None can accuse Gods elect. Rom. 8:33-34. He knows all about us and love us.
- Christ is interceding for us. V.35. Author and finisher of our faith. Heb. 12:2.
- Nothing can separate us from God. Rom. 8:35-39.
CONCLUSION: If you want to dispose of your sin and come to Christ, you may right now say by faith, blessed assurance, Jesus is mine. May God grant repentance? AMEN.