One of the first things listed among the attributes of the Fruit of the Spirit is Love. That is certainly appropriate since God is Love and it is God that actually creates the fruit of the Spirit in us in the first place. Let us consider three things about Love.
I. THE MIRACLE OF LOVE.
1. Because of the undeserving recipients of it. Titus 3:3.
2. Because of the unending continuity of it. Eph. 1:4-5, Jer. 31:3.
3. Because of the unifying effect of it. Rom. 7:22, 8:15,
II. THE MARKS OF LOVE.
1. Study the marks of true love that come to us in 1Cor. 13:4-7.
A. Love is long-suffering.
B. Love is kind.
C. Love is not envious.
D. Love is self-promoting.
E. Love is not filled with air or infection.
F. Love does not behave inappropriately.
G. Love is not self-seeking.
H. Love is not easily provoked.
I. Love is not bent toward evil thinking.
J. Love is not happy about sin and ungodliness.
K. Love is happy about the truth.
L. Love keeps on enduring no matter what.
M. Love keeps on believing no matter what.
N. Love keeps on hoping no matter what.
O. Love keeps on no matter what.
III. THE MANIFESTATION OF LOVE.
1. It’s seen in our obedience to God. Jn. 14:15 and 15:14.
2. It’s seen in our love for fellow believers. Jn. 13:34-35.
3. It’s seen in our love for the lost. Matt. 5:44.
CONCLUSION: Love is an unsearchable treasure and there are certainly many other things that could be said of it. It is one of those things that we cannot even scratch the surface of it in our feeble efforts to learn more about it. None-the-less, it is only one aspect of the Fruit of the Spirit that we bear as God’s children when He works a work of grace in us. AMEN.