The Fruit of Gentleness
Gentleness is the fifth aspect of the Fruit of the Spirit. It has to do with the way we behave ourselves in regard to our relationship with others. It is not a passive thing like meekness often is but rather the active action of being kind and sensitive. It is the way we show the Love of God in us with the feelings of others in mind. Let us consider four things about the gentleness that the Holy Spirit puts in God’s elect.
- EXAMPLES OF GENTLENESS.
- It’s a godly temperament. Isa. 40:10-11.
- Jesus personified gentleness. Matt. 12:18-21.
- David was kind to Mephibosheth. 2Sam. 9:3.
- Paul was gentle too. 1Thess. 2:7-8.
- EXERCISE OF GENTLENESS.
- This is how the Psalmist did it. Ps. 131:1-2.
- The ministry is to be gentle. 2Tim. 2:24.
- Controlling the tongue is a large part of it. Eph. 4:29-32.
- Feed on Christ for this fruit. 2Cor. 10:1.
- ENEMIES OF GENTLENESS.
- Anger is an enemy of the fruit of gentleness. Prov. 15:18.
- Arrogance and pride is too. Prov. 6:16-19.
- Coldness is unfriendly- not kind and gentle. Prov. 18:24.
- Crude, Blunt speech and behavior is not kind. Prov. 15:1-2.
- EXCELLENCE OF GENTLENESS.
- It glorifies God. Not like a hawk but like a dove. Matt. 3:16.
- It brings restful ease and comfort. Jn. 14:16.
- It comes with divine wisdom. James 3:17-18.
Conclusion: As believers we ought to pray for a greater manifestation of the Holy Spirit in our lives so that we can show forth His greatness by the spirit of kindness He has put in us. This is the true mark of success as a Christian. Ps. 18:35-36. AMEN.