The seventh aspect of the Fruit of the Spirit mentioned in our text is Faith. Faith is a substance according to Heb. 11:1 but it is not simply a passive thing. It has to do with believing something that is certain but it also always brings action with it too. True faith is a thing that only comes with the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit of God. It not only causes us to believe the truth but it enables us to live truthfully. To get an idea of what faith is about we need only to look to God and see that He is faithful. As His children that is what we ought to be. 1Tim. 6:11. Our lives should exhibit a pattern of faithfulness. That is the fruit of the Spirit. Notice three things about the fruit of faith.
- IT INVOLVES ABSOLUTE HONESTY.
- Being faithful is sticking to your word. Ps. 12:1-2.
- Being faithful is being free from lies. Prov. 12:22.
- Being faithful is sincerity in word, deed and motive. 1Tim. 1:5.
- Being faithful is constantly searching your heart. Ps. 139:23-24.
- IT INVOLVES DEPENDABILITY.
- Being faithful is unwavering steadfastness. Ps. 125:1.
- Being faithful is particularly true in church. 1Cor. 15:58.
- Being faithful is also true for the home. Prov. 1:10-12.
- Being faithful is also done on the job. Eccl. 9:10. 1Cor. 4:2.
- IT INVOLVES LOYALTY.
- There is a faithful allegiance to God. Heb. 11:5-7, 24-27.
- There is public declaration of faith. Rom. 6:4-16.
- There is an effort to emulate Christ. Rev. 14:12-13.
- There is faithfulness in our friendships. Prov. 17:17.
CONCLUSION: We who are saved by grace and indwelt by the Holy Spirit will display the fruit of the Spirit. Be ye faithful. Paul was an example for us to follow. 2Cor. 11:24-28, Acts 20:24, 21:13, 2Tim. 4:6-8. AMEN.