James 2:19. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
There are three major religions in the world that teach monotheism. They are Judaism, Christianity and Islam. All other religions in the world are atheistic, polytheistic or pantheistic. The founder of Christianity came from a Jewish background humanly speaking. Our text tells us that even the demons have enough sense to know that monotheism is the correct approach concerning religion.
Islam says that Christianity corrupted the scriptures and is not truly monotheistic because of the doctrine of the trinity. They say that Islam means submission and it is the true religion of men like Adam and Abraham who worshiped the one and only one God with no additions of other persons. They say that God cannot have a Son and many other things.
I have had a dialogue with some Muslims and therefore I am sensitive about this issue. I’m told that Islam is the fastest growing religion in our nation. That may be. I do not know. I don’t hold much stock in polls and surveys. Many Christians when asked what their religion is will give their denominational name as an answer rather than Christian. Naturally, we understand that from a biblical point of view even the majority of those who call themselves Christian are not so according to the terms of the gospel.
I used the term “Baby Christian” once and had to explain that I was not talking about a physical Baby but rather I was speaking spiritually. Some people think that if they take their young infants to a priest or minister and have him pour some water on them in some religious ceremony that then they are Christians. That is not so. Baptism of any form has NEVER made a Christian. What makes a Christian is God’s sovereign grace in regeneration. It works this way. The word of God is preached or presented in such a way that an unsaved sinner is made to realize that he or she is LOST. The good news of Christ’s death, burial and resurrection according to the scriptures is illuminated in the heart of the lost sinner and by the power of the Holy Spirit, he or she is granted the grace needed to repent and believe the gospel. This is the new birth. It is what Jesus was talking about in John 3:1-7. Being born again is the only way to get back to the truth of the one true God and His one true book. Let us think for a few moments about four things concerning the ONE TRUE GOD. Consider: Doctrine, Departure, Deception and Deliverance.
I. THE DOCTRINE OF THE ONE TRUE GOD.
1. Monotheism began in Genesis. Gen. 1:1-5.
2. All time, space, matter and spiritual creatures were spoken into existence out of nothing in the first 24hr day described in v.1-5.
3. The direct creation of God was very good but not immutable and it did not stay good. Sin entered the picture some time after creation. With man the story is in Gen. 3:1-6. Gen. 5:1-3.
II. THE DEPARTURE FROM THE ONE TRUE GOD.
1. Actually, the first introduction to the idea that there could be other gods besides the one true God came when Satan through the serpent spoke in Gen. 3:5.
2. Then came the flood and the tower of Babel. The Tower of Babel was the pinnacle of all false religion. False religions multiplied after the dispersion from Babel and pagan polytheism, pantheism and even atheistic humanism can all be traced back to the Tower of Babel and Babylon. Mystery Babylon is a wicked, wicked way indeed. Gen. 11:1-9.
3. In spite of the Devil and the unsaved infidels of the world, God kept a people for Himself. They were the patriarchs, the prophets, the poets, and the potentates. Much could be said about all of these. Ex. 6:7-8.
III. THE DECEPTION ABOUT THE ONE TRUE GOD.
1. Islam is a great deception in the world today. They claim to be the only true religion but their god is an imposter, their book is a fraud and their prophet was a thug and a reprobate.
2. You say brother you are too hard. You should hear what they say about Christians and Jews. When I first heard about Allah I thought that Allah was just another name for God but since then I’ve learned that this is not so. The triune God of the Bible is not the same as the Allah of the Koran. Muslims accuse the sons of God in Christ as polytheists saying we don’t really believe in ONE God. They hate the doctrine of the deity of Christ and the trinity of the Godhead and get a lot of their material from the Watchtower Society.
3. You can do your own research on the origin of Islam and the Koran but this is what I have found. In the 7th century after Christ, the Arabs in Arabia were mainly pagan idol worshipers. They had many idols in a temple called Kabah in Mecca. The family of Muhammad worshiped an idol for the moon god Allah. This idol was one of many in Kabah. Religion scholars tell us that demonic activity is high around places like this. About that time, Muhammad began to dabble in eastern mysticism. This opens one up to various types of evil spiritual influences.
4. At one point, Muhammad went into a transcendental meditation trance (fell on the ground foaming at the mouth). When he came out of it, he said the angel Gabriel spoke to him. Sessions like this continued and he would tell others what the messenger said and they began writing these things down. After his death, various renditions of these recitals surfaced and certain ones published them as the Koran, which they say supersedes the Bible.
5. One notable thing that Muhammad did was to take a stand for monotheism. The way that he did that was to go to Mecca and clean out all the idols from Kabah saying the only god to worship was his god Allah. That is the monotheism of Islam. Muhammad’s recitals allegedly came from Allah.
6. There is no evidence anywhere to support the notion that the Triune God of the Bible is the same as the Allah of the Koran. The God of the Bible is just and holy but He is full of grace and mercy. The Allah of the Koran is a god of violence and hate who can mislead souls to hell according to his own book.
7. The Bible says nothing about allah. The Koran: Surah 4:88 – What is the matter with you, then, that you have become two parties about the hypocrites, while Allah has made them return (to unbelief) for what they have earned? Do you wish to guide him whom Allah has caused to err? And whomsoever Allah causes to err, you shall by no means find a way for him.
IV. THE DELIVERANCE BY THE ONE TRUE GOD.
1. Finally we come to some good news. The one true and living God is still on the throne and He is in control. The Bible is indisputable and the hero of our faith is absolutely impeccable.
2. Mark 7:36 And he charged them that they should tell no man: but the more he charged them, so much the more a great deal they published it; 37 And were beyond measure astonished, saying, He hath done all things well: he maketh both the deaf to hear, and the dumb to speak. (KJV)
3. 2 Pet 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: 20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. (KJV)
4. 2 Cor 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God. 21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. (KJV)
CONCLUSION: There is only one true and living God and the only way to have a right relationship with Him is to know Him by faith in and through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. The only book in the world that tells you the full and complete truth about this is the 66 books of the received text known as the Bible. He that hath ears to hear let him hear. AMEN.